Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mixed Berry, Maple Syrup & Oat Muffins

I have not made muffins for ages now and felt in need of a couple for breakfast the next morning. One thing great about making muffins is that you won't have a whole lot of cleaning up to do. Another plus point is that it'll really take you half the time as compared to baking a cake or cupcakes.

As I have a huge jar of oats left plus frozen berries in the fridge, I decided to try out this particular recipe. I would now buy berries whenever they are on offer and freeze them for future use. It's really handy for times like this or when the urge to make a berry crumble for dessert comes to mind.



Mixed Berry, Maple Syrup & Oat Muffins

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
1 cup oats, plus extra for topping
1/3 cups chopped walnuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup low fat milk
60g unsalted butter, melted
1/4 maple syrup, warmed
1 egg
250g frozen mixed berries (blueberries,raspberries & blackberries)

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 180C. Line a cup muffin or cupcake tray with paper liners.

2) Sift flour into a large bowl. Stir in oats, sugar and walnuts. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.

3) In a jug, whisk together milk, butter, syrup and egg. Add to dry ingredients, mixing lightly until just combined. There will be a few pockets of flour but don't worry. This gives the charactistic muffin texture. Fold in berries.

4) Spoon evenly into prepared pan until 3/4 full. Sprinkle with the additional oats.

5) Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until golden and cooked when tested. Cool on wire rack. Store in an airtight container - these freeze well.



[

10 comments:

pigpigscorner said...

Lovely presentation...so mouth-watering! I can't wait to make some muffins too!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Cute cupcakes and even I havent made cupcakes in ages now!!!

Elyse said...

Sorry that I’ve been an absent commenter; I just finished up my law school exams and am finally getting around to my google reader. These muffins look fabulous! I love a good muffin. And the addition of maple syrup is genius!! Great job.

Emily said...

I love maple, I love oats, I love berries, so I know I would enjoy these muffins.

Beautiful pictures!

Pam said...

Beautiful presentation. They look and sound delicious!

Ramya Kiran said...

Hi Jo, how are you doing? Feels like its been months since we met.

Your muffins look so healthy and lovely presentation!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous presentation and delicious muffins! I love the maple syrup here!

Irene said...

These look soooooo sooooo good! Beautiful presentation and photos!

sunita said...

Goegeous muffins and lovely pictures Jo :-)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Very pretty pictures! These look scrumptious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails